Sirenia Forum

A fan community for the gothic metal band Sirenia

HomeFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Morten Veland Interview (Rock in Review)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Changed?
Darling Maurice
Darling Maurice

Female
Number of posts : 1513
Job/hobbies : Student
Humor : Chelsea Handler Style
Point System :
100 / 100100 / 100

Registration date : 2008-11-23

PostSubject: Morten Veland Interview (Rock in Review)   Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:45 am

1. Who are your main influences for your musicianship and composition?

There are many bands and artists that have influenced me over the years, especially in the start. I began my career back in 1992, forming a band playing a straight forward kind of Rock n’ Roll, influenced by bands like Guns n’ Roses, Mötley Crüe, and that kind of stuff. After a short period of time, I got introduced to the UK Gothic rock scene and bands like The Sisters of Mercy, The Fields of the Nephilim, and The Mission. I was really drawn to the dark and melancholic atmospheres that these bands were able to get across. At the same time, I was getting interested in harder Metal bands and got into the idea of combining the atmospheres of the UK goth scene with Melodic metal. This was back in 1994. Afterwards, it has been all about perfecting my style as a musician and composer.

2. When/how did you decide to become a guitarist?

I have always been very attached to music, ever since I was a little kid. And the interest was just growing and growing with the years. I did my first attempt playing guitar when I was in the 4th grade, I took some classical guitar lessons but it never quite did the trick for me so I quit. Then I picked it up again at the age of fourteen, but with an electrical guitar this time. And then there was no turning back.

3. How would you compare playing in Sirenia to playing with Tristania?

Playing in Sirenia is like a dream come true in many ways, it felt the same way with Tristania too in the beginning, but that was about to change. Hehe.

4. What are your thoughts on the final product for The 13th Floor?

This time I wanted to write an album that kind of reflected what we have done musically with Sirenia so far. I mean that there is material on the album that has strong parallels to what we have done on all our previous albums in addition to some new stuff that the listeners might not have heard from Sirenia before. There’s a lot of variation in there, and it feels like taking 3 steps behind and one forward in the same time. My personal opinion is that there should be stuff on The 13th Floor that will please all our fans, whether they prefer At Sixes and Sevens, An Elixir for Existence, or Nine Destinies and a Downfall. It can be a problem for some listeners when a band goes through changes in their line-up, but in this case I find it hard to believe that people will get disappointed. When I listen to the final product now I feel very satisfied with every aspect of the album; I feel that we were able to achieve what we set out to achieve.

5. How would you compare the line-up for The 13th Floor to Sirenia band line-ups?

I am very happy with the line-up we got today. We have a great feeling in the band and we focus on the music and enjoying the ride. Everybody is really devoted to the music and we all take a lot of joy and pride being a part of the band. The line-up just feels right in every way – both musically and socially. Personally, I think it’s the strongest Sirenia line-up to date, and I really hope that we are able to keep it this way for a long time.

6. While touring, do you prefer touring Europe or the US?

Touring is something that we really enjoy doing. So far we did not tour the States yet, so this is something that we hope we’ll be able to do very soon. It’s always exciting to tour new places, as you never really know what to expect. That being said, I personally think that a US tour would be extra cool, there are a lot of places over there that I would like to see. And you know I grew up listening to a lot of US bands, and there a lot of legendary clubs over there I’d like to see, or even better play.

7. What can we expect in the future from Sirenia?

First and foremost, I think people can expect a lot of great music in the years to come. Furthermore, you all can expect a lot of great live shows. As I already mentioned touring is something that we really enjoy doing, and we’ll do our very best to tour as much as possible in the future. We would like to make it possible for everyone that wants to see us live actually gets the opportunity to do so.

8. Lastly, do you have any advice for aspiring guitarists and/or bands?

I think the best advice I can give is to never give up and to believe in your own thing; don’t get too caught up in what others tell you, but go your own way musically. And enjoy the ride at all times, do things in a way that allows you to enjoy it.

View user profile http://sireniaforum.forummotions.com
Eliz
A Shadow Of Your Own Self
A Shadow Of Your Own Self

Female
Number of posts : 55
Point System :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Morten Veland Interview (Rock in Review)   Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:57 pm

thanks for this!!!!!!!!

cool interview !!!!!

i've read so many times interviews where he says that the actual line-up is the strongest ever, and later the vocalist leaves the band...i think it gives to the band bad luck...he should try not to say that Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Morten Veland Interview (Rock in Review)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1