Female
Number of posts : 1513
Job/hobbies : Student
Humor : Chelsea Handler Style
Point System :
100 / 100100 / 100

Registration date : 2008-11-23

PostSubject: Interview with Sideline   Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:51 pm

[b]Keep in mind that this is not the entire interview as you have to pay for the whole thing.[i]
Sirenia, founded in 2001 after Morten Veland left Tristania, is slowly but steadily building its reputation throughout the international gothic and metal scene. After recording two albums - "At Sixes And Sevens" and "An Elixir For Existence" - plus one EP ("Sirenian Shores"), Sirenia now released a 3rd album, "Nine Destinies And A Downfall". For the band this 3rd release marks more than just one change: the album features the new singer Monika Pedersen from Denmark (who joined the band after the departure of Henriette Bordvik), the band switched labels leaving Napalm Records for Nuclear Blast and sees a new musical direction going from gothic doom metal act to gothic metal leaving the doom behind. Morten explains the changes. (By Bernard Van Isacker)

SL. This is your 3rd album to date, normally, music logic say that this third one should be a difficult birth. Was "Nine Destinies And A Downfall" a difficult baby?

M. Yes, some say that the 3rd album is the most difficult, and some also mean that the second album is a hard one for every band/artist. Usually when I start composing material for a new album I try to pick up where I left off with the previous album, and then tries to take everything one step further. I did so this time as well, but began to realize that I had more or less done everything before, and got the feeling that I was repeating myself. So this time I felt a strong need to do some bigger changes when in terms of composing. So all in all we needed some time to set out our new direction, but as soon as we found our path the rest came pretty naturally as it usually does.

SL. "Nine Destinies And A Downfall" also features the new singer Monika Pedersen from Denmark, who joined the band after the departure of Henriette Bordvik. How different was it to work with her compared to miss Bordvik?

M. Both Henriette and Monika are very easy people to work with, and they both work very hard and determined towards the goals that we set out. So in that sense the difference between them was not that big.

SL. Why did Henriette leave the band btw?

M. She decided to leave about two and a half year ago. The reason for that was that the music was starting to take up more and more of our time, and she felt she needed more time for herself and more time to do other things beside music as well. So she came to the conclusion that it would probably be for the best for her and the rest of the band if we decided to part ways. Henriette is a great person and we still have very good contact.

SL. What are Monika's musical roots?

M. Monika has been singing in several choirs and several rock/metal bands over the years. She has been into music and singing for years and years. It came pretty natural for her to start singing in a band like Sirenia.

SL. Why did you decide to put Monika's vocals in the front?

M. One of the things I wanted to do with the song material for the new album was that I would like to take it into a more melodic direction. So it felt natural to give the female voice a bigger role in our songs. It was a natural part of the evolution of the band.

SL. The album features more down-tuned guitars, why this change?

M. Actually we don’t tune down our guitars, we have only switched from standard 6-string guitars to seven string axes. We wanted this album to be more powerful than all our previous work, so bringing in more low-end on the rhythm guitars was a part of that process.

SL. Also, where are the male harsh growling vocals gone to?

M. As we wanted to take this new album into a more melodic direction we decided to reduce the amount of male growling vocals. That type of vocals is still present in our songs, but it’s quite reduced compared to our previous releases.

SL. I suppose that you are changing from a gothic doom metal act into a gothic metal act. Not that I deplore that choice, but did you consider the reactions of your fan base?

M. We knew that we would create big waves with this album, and that some of our old fans might be disappointed. Some fans appreciate changes and some don’t, it’s as simple as that. We however has a strong need to play the music we want to play, and like to play. If not we will loose our interest and the spirit to go on. The only way we can be true to ourselves and the fans is by releasing the music that comes from deep within, the kind of music we really burn enjoy here and now.

SL. If I am right, you actually planned a live DVD, no?

M. We have been thinking about this and it is something that we want to do in the future. Right now we feel that it’s a little too early, we might realize this idea after the next album.

(...)

View user profile http://sireniaforum.forummotions.com
PaleEnchantress
Banned
Banned

Female
Number of posts : 1090
Job/hobbies : singer
Humor : my soul feels cold and my heart is tired
Point System :
5 / 1005 / 100

Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Sideline   Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:36 am

good answers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/giulia1510
Changed?
Darling Maurice
Darling Maurice

Female
Number of posts : 1513
Job/hobbies : Student
Humor : Chelsea Handler Style
Point System :
100 / 100100 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Sideline   Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:22 am

The guy who did the interview knows nothing about metal.
Sirenia has always been gothic metal. They haven't ever been gothic-doom metal.

View user profile http://sireniaforum.forummotions.com
PaleEnchantress
Banned
Banned

Female
Point System :
5 / 1005 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Sideline   Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:16 am

And2DieIsEasy wrote:

It's normal, staying in front of Morten Veland, doing mistakes.. lol!
Back to top Go down
SparklingEyesInMyMirror
The Other Side
The Other Side

Female
Number of posts : 215
Job/hobbies : Writer/Poet/Songwriter
Humor : You'll Have To Find Out
Point System :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Sideline   Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 pm

And2DieIsEasy wrote:

Your right. Its sad when metal webzines hire someone who doesn't have the slightest clue about metal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sireniaforum.forummotions.com/
PaleEnchantress
Banned
Banned

Female
Point System :
5 / 1005 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Sideline   Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:27 am

at the end evryband has its own style.. so we can't say: "This band is gothic" or "this band is doom"...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Sideline   

Back to top Go down

Interview with Sideline
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1